Teach At Hacker Lab!
Hacker Lab is now accepting proposals for classes and teachers for Q1 2018. Our submission deadline is midnight on 10/30. We are requesting that both new and existing teachers submit their class information via the form provided.
Below is an overview of what we’re looking for and how to propose a class.
For Existing HL Teachers: You are the heart of the magic that happens at Hacker Lab and we are extremely grateful for your passion and support. We want to keep track of the ongoing classes you are planning to teach next year. Please take some time to complete the form below so we can have a standard record of what classes you plan to teach in Q1 2018. If you are thinking about doing something new let us know about that too! If you have an extended project-based class or Bootcamp you’d like to teach, those are fast becoming our better sellers at Hacker Lab.
For New Teachers: Are you an engaging person with an expertise in making, code, design, or business? We are looking for talented individuals who are passionate about sharing their unique skills and abilities with our community. If so, we want to hear from you!
What we're looking for: We are specifically looking for individuals who are familiar with and can teach Standard and Project classes in two or more of the following areas (Existing teachers, if you see a class that you are already teaching on the list, don’t worry; we are just reminding you that we want basic class descriptions from everyone prior to Q1 2018. If you see a new class you are interested in teaching, let us know!):
- 3d Digital Design - 3D printing; Laser Fabrication; Mold making and casting
- CorelDraw - Designing for Laser and CNC
- Jewelry - Basic tools and operations; Metals Hammer - Solder File and Form; Molding and Casting; Kiln, Warm Glass, Bead making
- Laser Cutter - Rotary Engraving; Advanced Fabrication
- Metal Fabrication Training; Bending Pipe and Sheet; Finishing; Sharpening Tools
- Plasma, Basic Cutting; CNC Training
- Safety - Dust Abatement and Shop Safety
- Sand Blasting - Metals and Glass
- Shopbot - Advanced
- Small Metal Fabrication - Hammer Solder File & Form
- Welding, TIG and MIG fixtures
- Textiles - Industrial sewing; shoe fixing, c project classes
- Woodworking, Basic Safety Videos prerequisite to all wood classes
- Woodworking, Advanced - Duplicate turning; Basic Turning; Guitar Bodies on the Shopbot; Mitred corners and Picture Framing; Raw Wood to Guitar Body Blank; Re-sawing; Router table; Scroll saw; Sharpening
- Technology - Android, Swift IOS, C, C++; AI - Intro to Google Tensorflow; Spinning up web server / Getting Started with AWS; Microcontroller programming;
- Electronics - Circuits basics; PCB Design & Manufacturing; Soldering
- Business - Financial modeling for Startups; Design Thinking; Business Model Canvas; Startup Law, Growth Marketing,
- Digital marketing strategy
- Design, Photography, Videography
- Mixed Media Project Classes
- Youth focused classes
Ideal teachers have the following skills:
- Ability to facilitate memorable and inspiring experiences
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Reliability and professionalism
- Outstanding skills to teach and demonstrate in approved subject areas
- Ability to promote Hacker Lab special offers and self-promote their own classes
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR MAKER-SPACE TEACHERS
- Represent Hacker Lab professionally
- Assist in promoting classes
- Start and end class on time
- Record and submit class attendance
- Require students to wear appropriate safety equipment
- Teach class content, as approved including safety rules, policies and etiquette
- Evaluate student performance (pass/fail)
- Review student feedback and adapt teaching style for continual improvement
- Promote Hacker Lab special offers at every class
- Invoice on monthly basis
- Report safety issues
CLASS TIERS, COMPENSATION & PERKS
Hacker Lab is adapting a new class Tier structure:
Standard level classes - This class tier is designed for introductory level content. They are typically less than 2 hours long and cover equipment safety and basic usage to allow the member equipment access. In addition to equipment training there introductory technology and business classes can be structured as “feeder” classes into the projects and bootcamp tiers. Standard level classes pay at a rate of $25 per hour of class time.
Project Classes & Bootcamps - Project classes and bootcamps allow for deeper dives into subject matter to incite new possibilities and walk through advanced processes. For maker classes they often will have materials associated with them. Many of our longer form programming and business bootcamps fall into this category as well. Any class over 3 hours and $99 will fall into this category.
Hacker Lab instructors get their first month's Hacker Lab membership for free, and continue to earn a free membership when teaching at least two classes per month, or over 6 hours.
Hacker Lab instructors work as 1099-contractors.
Are you interested in proposing a standard class, project class or bootcamp?
Please submit here prior to October 30th: https://goo.gl/forms/jA1ZjQIWeQObepv73
Applications must be submitted in this manner in order to be considered.
Questions? Ideas? Want to talk prior to submitting? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org